Edward “Ed” Justice Sr. was one of the three brothers who established themselves as early leaders in the automotive lubricant and fuel additives market in the early 1950s. The brothers-Ed, Zeke, and Gus-were actively involved in the business even as teenagers in their hometown of Paoli, Kansas before World War II.
Ed served in the U.S. Army Air Force in England and when he returned, he and Zeke went to work for Frank Kurtis at Kurtis-Kratt building sprint cars and midgets for oval tracks. They moonlighted on evenings and weekends with their own enterprise Justice Brothers Race Car Repair and Fabrication. All the while they experimented with lubricants and additives to increase performance and longevity. Using proceeds from selling a midget racer they built, the brothers started Justice Brothers Inc. to market the line of lubricants and additives. Ed ran sales, Gus was the accountant, while Zeke developed and tested new products. Ed’s ability as a salesman and name marketer propelled the company to success. Ed knew the world of motorsports would be a wonderful marketing tool. He aligned the company with the newly founded NASCAR, the Championship Car Circuit, the Indianapolis 500, and NHRA Drag Racing. Quickly race cars were caring Justice Brothers decals and Ed began to sign prominent drivers as company spokesmen.
In 1950, Johnny Parsons won the Indianapolis 500 in a Justice Brothers sponsored Kurtis-Kraft roadster and the first of the Justice Brothers’ shirts appeared at the Southern 500 NASCAR race at Darlington, South Carolina. Soon after, an aspiring young drag racer named, Don Garlits was signed by Ed Justice Sr. and the Justice Brothers were Garlits’ first corporate sponsor. Over the years the three brothers grew their business thanks to their complementary strengths. Over the years the roster of products grew as did the famous racers who carry the company name to race wins and season championships. Today under the guidance of Ed Sr. son, Ed Jr., the company still thrives.